Sunday, August 23, 2009

Back To (Home)School




Well, we started "back to school" last week!! We've been doing homeschool pre-school for about a year and a half, so we decided to continue this year. Although Marissa is only four-and-a-half, she is ready to start the Kindergarten curriculum, so we chose My Father's World (with several supplements) and began! I love it!! I know my little social butterfly would be happy in a public school, but she is also happy at home. Many people ask if Marissa has extra-curricular activities to develop social skills and the answer is a huge YES! She does Kids Choir, dance, did T-Ball, gymnastics, Chinese, Awana Sparks, and other activities, so I think we've got the social bases covered!
I remember Jaime's first day of Kindergarten so clearly. She was dressed in a purple flowered pinafore dress and lacy socks and black buckle shoes. Her little hair barrettes matched her dress and had thin, purple ribbons streaming down. Her hair was curled and she looked adorable. I remember holding her little hand as we walked up the sidewalk to her classroom. In contrast, Marissa's first day of Kindergarten - well, just look at the photos and you'll see that she was dressed in very comfortable "stay-home" clothes and her hair, although it was brushed, was not fixed. I laughed as I took her pictures that morning and I thought of the differences between my kid's big days. Even Brandon looked better than Marissa did when he started school. Oh well, the clothes don't make the student, do they?

No comments: